The Cajun Bourbon Chicken Recipe gets its name after the Bourbon Street in New Orleans, Louisiana and the bourbon whiskey ingredient. The Southern U.S. dish blends with the Chinese cuisine soy sauce and creates an unique flavor enriched by the daring bourbon. There are many versions of the Bourbon Chicken Recipe, the Louisiana bourbon street chicken, the Chinese bourbon chicken, the southern and the Cajun bourbon chicken.
You can usually find the bourbon chicken in American barbeque restaurants, but why not do it in your own home? It is perfect for any occasion and preparing it doesn’t take a lot of time. The key ingredients are soy sauce, ginger and brown sugar, with a touch of bourbon that perfectly blends into the sauce used to marinate the chicken. If you are wondering what bourbon to use, any kind will do, try one that’s not too expensive.
(Serves 4-6 )
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 cup apple or pineapple juice
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup Bourbon
Total Cooking time: 45 minutes
1. The first step is to cut the boneless chicken into small 1 inch pieces. You can use either a knife or kitchen scissors.
2. Mix the garlic, apple or pineapple juice, brown sugar, ginger, apple vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch and the bourbon into a medium sized bowl. Stir until it all blends together.
3. Pour 1/3 of the sauce on the chicken and leave it to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. It is better is you leave it overnight.
4. After the chicken marinated, heat up a large frying pan and pour the oil into it. When the oil is hot add the chicken pieces and cook at medium-high heat and stir until the chicken turns a golden.
5. Add 1/2 cup water to the remaining sauce and when the chicken is done pour it in the frying pan.
6. Reduce to low heat and cover the pan leaving a small opening for the air to escape. Cook for 20 minutes and don’t forget to stir a few times. If the sauce is too thick you can add a tablespoon of Chicken broth.
7. Serve hot with white or brown rice garnish or fries. Enjoy!
Elegant and simple, the Cajun Bourbon Chicken Recipe pleases the senses and makes a great meal for the entire family.